1. WHAT IS STRAVA?
Strava is a mobile app that records activities (like running, walking, cycling, swimming …) based on GPS data and provides data related to that activity such as distance, time, pace… Through Strava, you can also share activities with your friends as well as following their activities, join challenges, find sports clubs and many other interesting features.
NOTICE: Strava is a FREE app. If billing notification appears, just turn it off (See “Notice” section at the end of this article).
2. DOWNLOAD APP & SIGN UP
Step 1: Download Strava to your smartphone
- App Store: https://apps.apple.com/app/strava-cycling/id426826309
- Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.strava
Step 2: Sign up
Tap Strava icon on your phone screen.
Choose 1 of these 3 sign in method:
- Google (Gmail)
- Other email
Tap “Agree and Sign up”.
- If you choose Facebook, enter your email/phone number and password (left image).
- If you choose Google, enter your email and password (right image).
Step 3: Get familiar with Strava interface
On the bottom menu, you can see these features:
- Feed: Newsfeed showing activities of your own, of people you follow and clubs.
- Explore: Discover Challenges, finding Clubs of Segments (suggested local routes).
- Record: Record activity results based on GPS data.
- Profile: Your personal information.
- Training: Other tracking tools of Strava (with fees).
3. HOW TO RECORD ACTIVITIES ON STRAVA
3.1. Start to record
- Tap “Record” button.
- You can choose a sport by tapping the shoe (or other icon) above Start button. For JustRace virtual races, choose Run or Walk.
- To begin activity, just tap “Start”, put your phone into pocket/running belt then start to run or walk.
- Notice: A green bar showing GPS Signal Acquired should appear before you start to run. If it does not appear, you should move outside, to an obstacle-free area to improve GPS signal.
- You can switch between the map and stats screen by tapping the pin next to Stop button.
- Tap the “Stop” button. Then you can tap “Resume” later to restart the activity.
Notice: If you do not tap “Stop” when stopping, the app will still count your time and it may affect total duration as well as your average pace.
- If you wish to turn on Auto-Pause feature, go to Settings => Auto-Pause => Turn on Run Auto-Pause. So you do not need to tap “Stop” then “Resume” every time you pause. The app will automatically pause and restart when you move.
3.3. Finish and Save the activity
When you finish running/walking, tap “Finish” button. You will be directed to another screen to Save Activity with some information like:
- Sport type
- Type: You can categorize your activity into several types like Long Run, Workout, Race
- How did that activity feed: Easy, Moderate or Max Effort.
Then tap “Save Activity” button. After being saved, your activity will appear on Feed. If you wish to delete it, choose “Discard Activity”.
Notice: If you tap “Discard” and confirm this decision, Strava will not be able to retrieve it.
4. CHANGE UNIT OF MEASUREMENT
To change measurement unit from km to mile (or vice versa), just follow these steps:
- Visit: https://www.strava.com/settings/display
- Sign in your Strava account (if required).
- If using Facebook, enter your email/phone number and Facebook password then tap “Log in” and “Continue”.
- When the screen below appears, tap the dropdown list below “Units & Measurements”, choose the unit of measurement you prefer. Then tap “Save”.
- DO NOT confirm any upgrade invitation in Training section if you do not wish to pay for advanced features.
- If you do not want to join free trial (then cancel it later), choose No Thanks.
- If you do not wish to join the survey as below, tap “Cancel”